You are what your animals eat

For relevant clippings from books or news papers, and for posts that are pertinent but which don't fit in the fora above
Cuttings

You are what your animals eat

Post by Cuttings »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... namic-farm

Former F1 driver Jody Scheckter swapped racing for buffalo rearing on a biodynamic farm

There are 2,500 water buffalo at Laverstoke Park, my farm in Hampshire. Our buffalo were imported from Italy and Romania. The meat tastes a little more intense than beef. The fillet is very, good, but some people are nervous about it – they think it's going to have a gamey taste. It doesn't; it's just a bovine. What's more, it's lower in fat than beef. It is naturally lean.

We make all our products on the farm. The milk is creamy and delicious. It's better for people who have problems digesting cow's milk and makes superb ice‑cream and milkshakes. Our mozzarella is firmer than the Italian stuff, with a fresher, milky taste. We also make burrata and ricotta, and we're working on a cheddar-style cheese.

There are 31 herbs, clovers and grasses growing in our fields. It's a mixed salad for the animals, which also include wild boar and cows. The different grasses improve the soil, which is 90% of farming. We have a saying here: "You are what your animals eat." Healthy soil means healthy grass, healthy animals, healthy meat and healthy people.

Our animals are all slow-bred and the farm is certified biodynamic and organic, but I didn't set out to be a conservationist – I was just trying to produce the best-tasting, healthiest food for my family. I'm not sure anything matches the buzz of Formula 1, but the harder you work the more you enjoy your success. It's taken a lot of work, but I feel everything is finally coming right on the farm.....