BD gardening experience

For relevant clippings from books or news papers, and for posts that are pertinent but which don't fit in the fora above
Mark
Site Admin

BD gardening experience

Post by Mark »

How biodynamics has changed the way I garden

By Charles Mitchell

THE END OF SUMMER and the start of autumn are a good time to reflect on the garden, what worked and plan for the future. Not that sowing stops; by the end of September I will have sown broad bean ‘Aquadulce’ which is good to overwinter. I have done this for many years, but am still amazed at how they survive frost, snow and cold temperatures remarkably unscathed. It means that we get a crop a few weeks earlier than a spring sowing. In the spring I sow another variety ‘Witkiem’ in any gaps that have occurred over winter, plus a few extra rows. I always sow in rows, I have tried more scattered sowing, but rows work for me as I inter- crop some with vegetables. Two of those are onions and garlic. Despite the failure of the garlic this year due to disease, I will try again in a raised bed as far away as possible from this year’s and will then interplant the onions and garlic with rows of carrot seeds in the spring. I was told many years ago that this kept away carrot fly, and it works for me.